“Thank you for another great cruise for my senior campers. I thought that it would be unlikely that we would have another great sail like last year. This year’s was even better. The campers loved hoisting the sail, the talk on Chesapeake wildlife, learning the parts of the ship and of course, steering the helm. We try very hard to provide great, unusual experiences for our campers. You and your crew really make it possible for us to do that.”
Hollin Hall Summer Day Camp
Annapolis is “America’s Sailing Capital” in the heart of the Chesapeake Bay.
Take your student group on a fun 2-hour sailing tour aboard a 74-foot classic, wooden schooner of Annapolis harbor and the surrounding Bay.
How We Teach: During your two-hour cruise aboard the Schooner Woodwind, we take a very interactive approach to educating the students about sailing.
The crew educates by asking questions. This enables our crew to find out the level of interest and knowledge in a fun and interactive way while dispersing fun facts to the students.
- Students will be split into smaller groups (around 8 each)
- Each smaller group will work directly with the crew member
- Students will help raising all the sails
- Students will cycle through the different learning topics
- When they get to the Captain, the captain will quiz them on their new found knowledge.
- When a student raises her hand and a correct answer is given, he/she will take a turn helming (steering) the boat.
- It is our intent to offer every student a turn at the “helm”.