Juniors, Cadettes, and Seniors Programs
Sailing cruise departs from Annapolis, Maryland and sails into the Chesapeake Bay.
Goal: To educate the girls about sailing, knot tying, and the nature of the Bay using an interactive approach. They will take a turn steering the schooner (private events only) and learn how the boat sails and what lives in the waters of the Chesapeake.
Availability: For group or private events the program is available anytime. Group Sails can be booked in advance for a flat fee for up to 16 guests on a public cruise. Private events can be booked up to 40 guests for a flat fee. Private events will allow for kids to steer the boat.
How We Teach:
During your two-hour cruise aboard the Schooner Woodwind, we take a very interactive approach to educating the girls about sailing.
The crew educates by asking questions. This enables our crew to find out the level of interest and knowledge in a fun and interactive way while dispersing fun facts to the scouts.
- Girls will be split into smaller groups (around 8 each)
- Each smaller group will work directly with the crew member
- Girls will cycle through the different learning topics
- For Private Events only, when they get to the Captain, the captain will quiz them on their newfound knowledge.
- Permission to Board: We will have the girls ask permission before they come aboard. We will tell them where to stow their belongings and what to expect aboard.
- Staying Afloat: We have one of our crew demonstrate to the whole boat how to correctly put on a life jacket and adjust it for their size.
- All Hands On Deck: During our safety speech, before we leave the dock, we discuss personal safety, what to do if someone falls overboard, if there is a fire aboard, and how to work the boat systems safely.
- From Bow to Stern: From Bow to Stern: Nautical Terms will be discussed. They will learn the parts of the boat, sail names, correct terminology, and be able to identify different types of boats on the water.
- Nature of the Bay: The girls will learn about the Bay, how it was formed, animals that call the Bay their home, in-depth info about the birds of the Bay, and other fun facts including why the Bay looks so muddy.
- For Private Events Only, girls can steer the schooner: Each girl will have a short chance to “helm” the boat.
Plan Your Trip
Summer, Late May – August & October, Seven Days a Week
11:00 am – 1:00 pm, 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Mid-April – Mid-May & September, Seven Days a Week
10:00 am – 12:00 pm, 12:30 – 2:30 pm, 3:00 – 5:00 pm
Saturdays, Girl Scouts can only book earliest cruise time unless you book a private charter.
Weekday Daytime: $1,250.00 Group Sail Flat Rate for up to 16 guests
Weekend trips: $1,325.00 Group Sail Flat Rate for up to 16 guests
- Rates include soda, tax and gratuity. Click here for more information on Group Sails
- Each scout will receive a Schooner Woodwind Participation Patch
- Private Charter pricing available upon request (some activities aboard are available only on Private Charters)
We sail rain or shine. There are no refunds or exchanges unless the captain cancels the cruise due to unsafe conditions.