We know we will be sailing and loving every minute of it. We don’t know what new and updated regulations we will need to follow, so stay tuned…
Our rules and updates on how we operated in 2020:
As always, tickets for our 2-hour public sailing cruises are available for purchase beginning 6 days before the sailing date.
If you book a private event, we can exceed 24 people, as long as you don’t need physical distancing from other members in your private group. We still need to keep the captain and crew safe, so capacity is limited to 35-40 people. Please talk to our Private Event Sales Team at 410-263-1981 for all the details to make your event a special one.
Also, there have been many updates to our operating practices that guests should review:
- Zone Seating? In order for us to comply with CDC and Maryland Health Policies, we must provide for physical distancing of 6 feet between groups that have not been residing together. When measuring the available seating, we have come up with the best way we can maximize seating while giving the correct physical distancing.
Zone Seating Diagram
- Distancing: Each Zone is separated by 6-feet. Including room for the captain.
- Face Coverings: Each guest over the age of 2 must board & disembark with a facial covering and wear them until the sails are up, because the crew will be moving about. Each crew member will be wearing a facial covering.
- Sanitize, Sanitize. High-touch points of the vessels are sanitized between every sail we operate. Deep cleaning is done every morning. It would be good to bring your own hand sanitizer with you, or you can use the hand sanitizer in the bathroom area.
- Symptom Free. Guests and our employees will be turned away if they have apparent symptoms. Additionally, our employees will have temperature checks prior to working daily. And guests will need to “self certify when buying tickets (online or over the phone) that they are (and all persons in their party) have no physical signs of COVID-19 and that they further certify that they and all persons in their party have not had close contact with an individual with COVID-19 nor have been asked to self-quarantine by a physician or a local public health individual.”
- We have a great bar stocked with craft beer, wine, bubbly and more. Bar transactions with be cashless and contactless. We will provide you with a simple QR Code that gets you to a web portal to buy your drinks while aboard. You can even add gratuity into the web portal. For those without a smart phone, a tablet will be available for your use.
- Raising the sails and steering the boat will not be able to happen while under the physical distancing rules. We simply can’t have you that close to our crew and captains.
Schooner Woodwind Sailing Cruises will be closely adhering to the guidelines set forth by the Passenger Vessel Association, who cites the CDC guidelines and gives specific guidance to our industry on how to safely operate under COVID-19 conditions.
Additionally, we will be following the State of Maryland Re-Opening Guidelines as they pertain to our industry. Please also note that the guidelines we adopt may be changed over time by governing authorities and we will, therefore, adjust accordingly. For any major changes, our previously booked guests will be notified.
FAQs of our changes:
Do I have to wear a face-covering the entire time?
To protect our employees and guests, all guests and employees must have face coverings with them. Face coverings are required to be worn by staff and all guests over the age of 2 when social distancing is not possible, and people are unable to maintain 6’ of distancing. While the open-air decks of our vessels provide you the opportunity for a fresh air experience, there are other times on the boats while moving around, embarking and disembarking, etc. when the keeping 6’ distance from others is simply not possible especially by our crew working the vessel. We know some guests may find this objectionable, but we believe this is the right way to operate to keep our employees/guests safe and to provide the safest sailing environment in today’s uncertain world.
Will we be outside on the Schooner?
All seating on the schooners is in open-air on deck. There is no seating down below available to guests. Complimentary ponchos will be given out if it starts to rain. Your own gear will far surpass these ponchos. Due to the close quarters below, no guests will be allowed below.
How much space is between me and the next person?
This will vary based on attendees. Do note that facial coverings are required by each guest, capacity is reduced by 50% or more, and private ‘zones’ will be designated. At any point that social distancing guidelines are encroached upon, we ask guests to put on face coverings. Additionally, anytime a guest leaves their designated ‘zone’ we require that they wear their facial covering.
Can we move around the boat?
You can go to the bathrooms aboard, but not roaming around the boat, because you will then walk into another group’s zone. You can stand or sit, but you must stay in the area assigned to you when you come aboard.
How many guests will be on the boat?
Starting on June 13, the maximum capacity will be 24 people plus captain and crew. As time goes on, we may be able to open the boat up to more people if they do not need the physical distancing. We are waiting on guidance from the state on that. Both Woodwinds are certified for 49 guests, however, we will have no more than 24 guests.
How often is the boat sanitized?
The boat is sanitized between every sail, including all high-touch points (handrails, lifelines, doorknobs, cabin tops for seating) and bathrooms. The boat has a deep cleaning every morning.
Can I eat on the boat?
You can bring aboard your own self contained snack or meal. You may not bring alcohol aboard, we have a liquor license, so you can purchase it from us.
Guest Experience during COVID-19 Restrictions:
- Dockside– Boarding Lines will be physically distanced appropriately. When you check in you will get a Zone Assignment, then you will line up in the correct boarding line. We will be boarding and disembarking in an order and that will facilitate safety and 6-foot distancing.
- You will still check-in at the dock office. They will direct you where to stand in the boarding queue.
- If you have not purchased tickets ahead of time, customer service will be able to sell you a ticket if available for the size of your group.
- We have added a railing to the ramp to board the vessels in order to reduce hand to hand contact while maintaining boarding safety.
- Aboard- We cannot have guests raise sails or steer the boat because of physical distancing requirements.
- Crew will serve beverages with gloves on.
- No snack service.
- The physical distancing stickers must be shown at all times to ensure guests stay in the zone.
- Cash Tip jar at the end of the trip
- We will send you a questionnaire about your cruise by email. We appreciate any feedback.
- Limited Guest Capacity will affect the following old policies:
- Frequent Sailor Cards will still be “punched”, but will not be redeemable while we have limited capacity.
- Donation vouchers will not be able to be redeemed at this time. All vouchers will be extended for use through 2021.
Stay Connected with Schooner Woodwind Sailing Cruises. Facebook is the best way.